Thursday, November 26, 2009

Sheppard: 'I had a good run for it'

Thursday, November 26, 2009
Sheppard: 'I had a good run for it'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Bob Sheppard, the legendary public address announcer for the New York Yankees, told MLB.com his career is over.


Bob Sheppard worked his first Yankees game in 1951.

"I have no plans of coming back," Sheppard told the Web site. "Time has passed me by, I think. I had a good run for it. I enjoyed doing what I did. I don't think, at my age, I'm going to suddenly regain the stamina that is really needed if you do the job and do it well."

Sheppard turned 99 last month. He had started working as the Yankees PA person on April 17, 1951 -- Joe DiMaggio's final Opening Day -- and continued until the final weeks of the 2007 season. A bronchial infection that September forced Sheppard to miss the postseason. He did not return for the 2008 season.

Paul Olden took over PA duties during the new Yankee Stadium's opening season. Sheppard told MLB.com, he and Olden keep in touch.

"He seems to me to be a very quiet, dignified and professional fellow taking over my job after my 50 or more years up there," Sheppard told the site. "When I can hear him in the background when I'm listening to the TV, he sounds clear. He sounds dignified. I think he sounds professional. That's what the Yankees were looking for."

Shortstop Derek Jeter has continued to use a recording of Sheppard to introduce his plate appearances.

No comments:

Post a Comment